A quick and easy soup with a little – or a lot – of spice.
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 4 eshallots, peeled and sliced
- 2 candlenuts
- 1½ cm piece fresh galangal, peeled and sliced
- ½ stem lemongrass, trimmed and sliced
- ½ teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 270ml can lite coconut milk
- 250g Vegie Delights Tender Fillets, sliced
- 2 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 250g bean thread vermicelli (mung bean noodles)
- 1 cup bean sprouts, trimmed
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- ¼ cup thai basil
- Lime wedges to serve
- Grind the chilli, shallots, candlenuts, galangal, lemongrass, turmeric and garlic to a paste in a food processor or a pestle and mortar.
- Heat the oil in a wok and sauté the spice paste for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add the coconut cream, vegetable stock and tender fillets, bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 6 minutes.
- Place the bean thread vermicelli in a large heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside to soak for 2 minutes, drain and arrange in serving bowls. Pour laksa over the vermicelli. Serve laksa immediately, topped with the bean sprouts, coriander and thai basil. Serve with lime wedges.
Nutritional InformationPer Serve
- Kilojoules 1765 kJ
- Calories 420 Cal
- Protein 14.3 g
- Total fat 19.9 g
- Saturated fat 5.9 g
- Carb. total 45.1 g
- Carb. sugars 5 g
- Fibre 3.5 g
- Sodium 876 mg
Candlenuts are an Asian nut found in most Asian grocers. If you can’t find candlenuts, omit from recipe. You can garnish the laksa with roasted peanuts if desired.
Galangal is similar to ginger but milder in flavour.