Cajun Black-Eyed Bean and Sausage Soup
A vegetarian dish that’s so easy to prepare it almost cooks itself.
Cooking Time 90
Prep Time 25
Serving Size 4
- 300g (1½ cups) dried black-eyed beans
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 packet Vegie Delights Vegie Sausages, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 1 fennel, trimmed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons low-salt tomato paste
- 1 x 400g can low-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground Cajun spices
- 1 litre (4 cups) cold water
- 1 litre (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley to garnish
- Place the beans in a bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside and soak overnight. Drain beans and rinse under cold water. Drain.
- Heat a non-stick frypan over medium heat; add oil, onion, garlic, sausages, carrots, celery and fennel. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until vegetables have softened. Add Cajun spices, tomato paste and tomatoes. Stir to combine. Add beans, water and stock. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook covered, for 1 ½ hours or until beans are soft.
- Taste, add lemon juice. Ladle into serving bowls. Sprinkle with parsley to garnish.
Plan ahead because black-eyed beans need to be soaked overnight.
Nutritional InformationPer Serve
- Kilojoules 1355 kJ
- Calories 323 Cal
- Protein 18.9 g
- Total fat 14.4 g
- Saturated fat 1.4 g
- Carb. total 26.4 g
- Carb. sugars 16.8 g
- Fibre 8.2 g
- Sodium 1556 mg