Legumes are a fantastic and versatile family of ingredients that can easily be transformed into tasty and economical meals. Legumes include a large array of foods such as kidney beans, peas, lentils, chick peas, baked beans, cannellini beans, and soybeans to name a few. Nutritionally, they are a great source of protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals. However, many of us are put off by the preparation involved with dried beans or lentils, and therefore won’t use them. But with the huge range of legumes now available in cans, preparing them doesn’t need to be the time-consuming task it once was.
If you would like to add more legumes to your diet, try some of these great ideas below:
- Minestrone soup is a beautiful flavoured soup that is packed with kidney beans, pasta and vegetables, making this soup a complete meal.
- Dhal recipes are generally made with split lentils and peas but can also be made from chickpeas or mung beans.
- Roasted chickpeas make a tasty snack.
- Quesadillas are a Mexican favourite and legumes such as kidney beans, black beans, or mashed cannellini beans are often added to the filling for texture and taste.
- Falafel is a traditional Middle Eastern food that is most commonly made from ground chickpeas and a delicious blend of herbs and spices. It can also be made from broad beans, or a mixture of the two. But feel free to use your imagination and try other beans like black beans or cannellini beans.